Sunday, September 23, 2012

Shish Kabobs


One Sunday night, a couple of my friends were sitting around my dorm and decided to go out for some late night eats. This wasn’t the best idea, since it was late, and it was a Sunday. This means that finding an open restaurant would be a difficult task. You see, people in China eat dinner around 6 or 7; so expecting to find something open around 10 was like hoping to find some ice (which is one of the hardest things to do in China).
We proceeded anyway, and just like we had expected, we failed at finding anything open. Luckily, right around the corner from the place where we were at, they were a group of people sitting around a grill with smoke emanating from it.


 I walked close and saw that it was a shish kabob stand. There were about two dozen boxes filled with meats on sticks from one to choose from. Anything ranging from chicken hearts to beef to tripe to lamb to tofu. You basically choose how much of each thing you want and wait for them to be grilled


We decided on some chicken wings and beef sticks and waited excitedly. Five minutes later, my friends and I were chomping away. Let’s face it; this isn’t the most sanitary way of storing and preparing food. But when you’re in China, you do as the Chinese do. We prayed to not get sick, and luckily we didn’t. The food was delicious, and most importantly, cheap. It was quite an experience, and I hope to do it again soon. But until then, I’ll try to eat enough at dinnertime so I’m not hungry by 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment