Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Dumplings


Last time was the only time that pointing and hoping failed me, so after that experience, I was a bit apprehensive to try it again. Sadly, I won’t always be with a Chinese classmate to help me out, so it was bound to happen again. Today I will be talking about a time where it actually worked out for the best.
Recently, I went shopping to a Chinese version of Costco or BJ’s called Metro. There were some super cool food selections for purchase, but that’s an entry for another day. After that shopping session, I decided to walk around with my friend and walk into the first restaurant we saw. It wasn’t typical lunchtime, so any place would be empty. Therefore, I couldn’t really follow the rule of going into the place with most people.
We ended up in this tiny place that has hardwood tables with glass on top. The menu was lodged between the table and glass so the customer could choose what they wanted.


I pointed at the top two things (priced 15 and 6 yuan each) and once again, hoped for the best. First came out these strips of what I’m assuming to be some vegetable. I honestly have no clue what it was, but it was served warm. It was very light and most likely one of the most refreshing things I have eaten so far. It’s a nice change from so much stir-fried dishes.
The owner’s of the restaurant were gracious enough to send over a complimentary drink. It was a warm liquid with some grains inside. I’m assuming it was some sort of warm rice milk. It was not the most flavorful thing, but definitely something new to experience and a nice touch to this traditional meal.


Last came out the entrĂ©e. This is definitely what I like about pointing and hoping. You could get some of the best dishes like this. In a tray used to steam (a very traditional dish preparation in China) came out 15 perfectly made beef dumplings. They were moist, well seasoned, and super fresh. These experiences are what make me love being in China. I hope my pointing and hoping technique continues to yield such delicious results such as these. And if not, then at least I’ll have funny stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment