Sunday, November 11, 2012

Torikizoku Izakaya

An izakaya is a very traditional part of Japanese culture. Basically, it’s a very small place about the width of a walking closet that has a bar and a place for a chef to grill some yakitori (grilled food on sticks) and make some other traditional drinking food. It’s a place that is meant for locals to go and unwind after a long day of work, drink some cheap beer, and have lots and lots of food.
            After asking the owner of my hostel where I should go for some food one night in Kyoto, he directed me towards a place called Torikizoku. Now, this place was a little bigger than your standard Izakaya, but it was the same concept. It felt more like an Izakaya mixed with a sports bar concept. It was very hip, and I have a feeling that this place might actually be a chain spread throughout Japan.
            Anyway, I came here and started off with a beer. The food and drinks here are cheap and made to order, so I sat down to wait for my food to be prepared. I was able to try three dishes, and they were all delicious.


 First came out the kara-age. Kara-age is basically a battered and fried piece of food, and mine happened to be chicken. It was perfectly seasoned and fried, and like always with fried chicken, I managed to burn the inside of my mouth for not waiting. It was worth it though.

            Next I got to try Sunazuri-Shio, which is grilled chicken gizzards. This was a form of takoyaki, so it was traditional. They know their way around gizzards in Japan, and this place was no different. I wouldn't recommend them to someone who isn't adventurous with food though, as the texture could be chewy to some.



 Lastly, I was served an updated version of a classic chicken takoyaki. It was called Mune Demi Miso Cheese-yaki, which was barbequed chicken breast covered in cheese and then covered in a demi sauce. It was very good, but I regret not sticking to more traditional preparations of takoyaki.
Overall, the izakaya experience was a wonderful one. I got to spend a few hours at a fun place that was designed to bring the Japanese culture in a new way. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Kyoto, and I look forward to coming again.


No comments:

Post a Comment