Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ramen Love


As you can probably tell by this blog, I've loved all my food experiences in Asia. Some places serve better food than others, some countries have cuisines which interest me more, and some experiences I've had at some places are just unforgettable. But out of all the countries I've visited so far, I can honestly say that nothing tops Chinese cuisine. Not that I didn't like the food at other places, but they just don’t compare for me. 
On the other hand, you sometimes find dishes in other countries that they just do better than anywhere else. For example, the fried chicken in Thailand has no equal. Such was the case with the soups in Japan, more specifically the ramen. I absolutely loved the ramen, and found myself eating it 5 out of the 6 days that I was there. They were all delicious but I will show you my favorite three. 


I ate this ramen in Osaka on my first night there. It was a huge portion, but it did not stop me from finishing. Although nothing in this specific ramen was the best individually, it made a very complete dish and my second favorite ramen overall.



This ramen is the one I ate in Nara. It had the best soft boiled egg out of all the ramen I had, but the broth was a bit salty. Again, this did not stop me from downing the whole bowl.



I saved the best for last. This is the Akamara special Ramen from Ippudo. This ramen house was highly recommended to me by different people, so I knew I had to make my way here. It doesn’t look like much, but this is the best ramen I had during my whole trip. The broth was perfectly seasoned, the pork belly was probably the best tasting piece of pig I’ve ever had, and all the noodles were perfectly tender. I’d be surprised to find a better ramen sometime in my lifetime. It was definitely worth the walk here.
            Overall, I fell in love with ramen. Although the food in Japan has been my least favorite of the food from all the countries in Asia I have visited, I could eat this dish every day of my life. I can’t wait to go back.





No comments:

Post a Comment