Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tea Ceremony


This past weekend, I went to Beijing on my first out of city trip. I made a couple of stops at certain must-dos when in the city, including the Great Wall and the Ming Tombs. Along with these destinations, I also found myself at a store in the middle of the city called Mr. Tea. At this store, I was shown different types of teas and certain rituals that go along with the ceremony. 
            The first thing that I was taught was how men and women have a different way of holding their cups, because one way shows masculinity and the other beauty. It is deemed ok for women to hold their cups like men if they feel powerful, but if a man holds his cup like a woman, it is because he is a “lady boy” (their words, not mine).  

How men hold their cup.

How women hold their cup.



Next, I was shown the proper way of making tea, which includes the correct temperature water, the right leaves, and the proper way of extraction.
            I actually got to try certain types of teas, which included the Jasmine tea, Oolong tea, Slimming tea, and Fruit tea. You can see in the picture of the flyer the details about each tea, but there was some extra information give. The Jasmine tea they make at Mr. Tea is made from the actual flower instead of powder like in most places. The Oolong Tea is one that must be smelled first. Then, while drinking, one is supposed to slurp as loud as possible. The slimming tea is drunk for health and not for taste. Most people drink it throughout the day since it has no caffeine. You are supposed to chew it while drinking. The Fruit tea was delicious and my favorite, but that is probably because it is made from a mix of lemon, kiwi, and strawberry. 


            Overall, this is definitely worth a stop, both for educational value and for pleasure. You will learn a lot and it will immerse you in thousand-year-old traditions.















No comments:

Post a Comment